Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Creature of the Deep




It's been a while since I posted a blog. I apologize to those who have been following us regularly. I haven't had anything to write that I thought you would find very interesting. I think what we saw today qualifies as "muy" interesting.
This morning we went over to Playa Blanca planning to use the Laguna Pool. I wanted to practice my Aquafit exercises and Bob wanted to sit under an umbrella and read his Kindle book. As it happens, the Laguna Pool is closed Mondays for cleaning. We headed for the beach where the bohio and chairs were ready and waiting for us. I had completed my walk down the beach and was settling in to read my book. The vultures that had been feeding on a small fish over by the entrance to Rio Hato * suddenly became interested in something that had come in with the surf. I spied a large body, about 5 feet long. It had an unusual head and I guessed that it was a hammerhead shark. Bob and I headed out to the outer beach as the tide had gone out and the shark was at the far side of the beach next to the surf line. The shark was quite dead and had really been through it. It's top fin and half of the tail fin was missing. The big shocker was that she had been giving birth to her young and a baby shark was half way out of her. Though it is a very scary looking creature, it was fascinating to see such a creature up close. The teeth were truly awesome and I can't imagine what it would be like to have them coming at you.
The shark soon drew a crowd and a local man came along. I could tell he was a local by the pintada** he was wearing and by his long pants. The fish had only died a short while before and I think his plan was to take it home and carve it up for the freezer. He sent a little boy to get some family and friends, I think. Several of the horsemen, who sell rides on the beach, were coming to the scene as we were leaving. I don't know what became of the sharks body but since it was already dead, I hope it was put to good use. I resolve to always take my camera when going to the beach!
We have realized form information that we read on the internet that this poor unfortunate creature was the victim of a vicious harvesting of its fins for what is considered a delicacy and thought to have medicinal properties by some. There is a lot of information about "finning" on the web and we were shocked that it is so prevalent today, apparently still brisk activity in Costa Rica. The shark actually suffocates and drowns as it is no longer able to get oxygen from the water by rapidly swimming through it. What a waste and how cruel. I'll try to give you a link to more information. If this doesn't work, just type in Hammerhead Shark or Finning. The Panama Guide has good info if you interested in this subject.



*The river, Rio Hato, flows into the ocean, right where we sit under the bohios. It runs around our house site to the ocean. The nearby town by the same name is part of our future address. At low tide you can cross the river where it joins the beach and walk down the beach toward the town of Farallon and the Decameron Resort.
**I bought a pintada yesterday to display the earrings I am selling at the Farmers market on Saturday. It’s a straw hat in a traditional style I have only seen here. It has a flat crown and mature men wear them with the front brim turned up. I think they are common in the farm areas of Panama.

2 comments:

  1. Great story on the hammerhead Chris! Great blogs and your lifestyle is sounding very appealing! Book, umbrella, lawn chair...blah, blah!!

    K...I'm going to email you now... ciao, or what do they say down there? xoxoxo Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris will you send me your email...I had it in my inbox for 3 weeks and then I finally go to write you and shazam - it's gone!! Thanks...I don't have a hammerhead story, but I'll catch you up on our adventure...oh, yes, it still continues!! anniemargeson@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete