Search This Blog

Sunday, October 16, 2011

El Torito Guapo, The Handsome Bull


Yesterday I went to Anton to check out the local festival, called the Festival of the Handsome Bull, Torito Guapo which started in 1967. Bob didn't feel like going so our friend Mitch and I checked out the local action at the town square in nearby Anton. It was the first time I had been to one of the ferias though Mitch and his wife Jean have been to some including the wildly popular Orange Festival in January. I'm determined to get Bob to go to that one.


It seems as though the whole town had turned out. There were many food booths heaped with all the usual Panamanian dishes, arroz con pollo (chicken with rice), patacones fried plantains, deep fried yucca and more. We even saw a booth for "American Pizza". Lots of guys had little portable charcoal grills that looked like stove pipes with a grid on top for cooking chicken or hotdogs slices threaded on skewers. There were also stalls selling lots of junky souvenirs, sandals, clothes and the usual fair merchandise one sees everywhere. Some of the larger fairs also feature artists, who sell their original work. I bought an orchid root and hope to have blooms someday soon.

The highlight for me was the dance exposition with many troupes of young people dancing in traditional costumes. I got some great pics which I am including here. We didn't stay long but enjoyed it. Next time I'll go really hungry as the food looked and smelled amazing and was really cheap. I could have had a good meal for $3 including drink.


Besides all that I mentioned, there was an effigy of the handsome bull that chases the ladies down the street of town, we missed that, outdoor dance venues for the whole family, and other folklores performances. During the weekend the Diablos Sucios, dirty devils of Panamanian lore, show up and there is also a greased pig chase. I think they have covered all the basics for a fun time, food, frolick and family. I'm going again next year!





The bulls head is mounted on a mans shoulders, when he chases the women in the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment